Saturday, September 4, 2010

Week One

WVU Business Incubator
For my first week with the WVU Business Incubator, I interned for 10 hours. Although I was showed around when I first interviewed, this time, I was able to go to my own cubicle (which is huge), and get my computer log-on.

When the managerial paperwork was completed, my first task when I went in on Tuesday was to determine my schedule for the remainder of the semester. At first, I thought this would simply be Tuesday from 1:30 to 6:30 and Thursday from 12:30 to 5:30. Sounds simple, right?

Well, Dusty informed me that I should write down every Tuesday and every Thursday and the exact amount of hours I will work. He's a smart guy - I really liked this idea. I wrote down the hours for every Tuesday and every Thursday for the rest of the semester, and I saw that certain days conflicted. For example, I can't work on Election Day (Nov. 2) because WVU is closed.

So, I have my entire schedule for the internship, and we have worked out the exact number of hours I need. I'm happy I won't have to be frantic when I realize something falls on a Tuesday or Thursday because we have back-up days, and I have already allotted for the days I know I won't be available. This gives me a great sense of ease, and I put it in this nifty calendar format that I think Dusty appreciated.

On Thursday, Dusty and I talked about a list of tasks I can begin. I'm very excited because they are all very interesting - such as creating a document that transfers rights of a song from one party to another, helping a nonprofit develop bylaws and a marketing plan for an up-and-coming company. These are all new to me, and I just want to jump in.

We decided, however, to begin with a social media project. A woman wants to begin a community blogging site for women who suffer with breast cancer. Her mother had breast cancer and documented her journey with the disease in a series of journals - this is what inspired the girl to create this community type of therapy. To begin, she needs a working "terms and conditions." (To protect the privacy and so the site wouldn't be held accountable for private information). I spent hours researching various sites' terms and conditions that are similar to what this site would be, such as other community blogging sites, Facebook and Twitter. I have complied these into about a 50 page document, and I believe I will be whittling these down and taking the portions that apply to use to make a working document for this new company.

I think there are a lot of fun things planned (fun, that is, according to an English/Journalism major), and I am ready to really get cranking the second week.

1 comment:

  1. Your strategy for developing this "Terms & Conditions" document for the social media site is a good one--ones that you're seeing already posted on the web for sites like Facebook are certainly going to have been vetted by legal departments or consulting lawyers. Are there any different sources that you could consult in order to learn more about these legal and ethical concerns that inform these documents? Or journalistic stories involving sites that have had to emend (or at least consider emending) their Terms & Conditions documents? Conducting this type of research might help you to anticipate concerns that these other documents unwittingly (or knowingly) don't address.

    ReplyDelete