Thursday, September 16, 2010

Week Three - Terms and Talking

WVU Business Incubator logo
I continued working on terms and conditions this week. We moved further into the editing and revising stage. I gathered a bunch of different samples (like 50 to be exact) and mushed them all up to take bits and pieces from each one, depending on what I liked best.

Now, I am slowly sifting through to get rid of everything I don't need and narrowing it to a specific focus. Dusty is looking over them, and I made edits to hopefully get a working version completed by next Tuesday.

He sent the split letter to the tenant last week and is waiting to hear back. I will most likely be doing a lot of editing Tuesday between these terms and conditions and the split letter. Fortunately, I love editing. I enjoy the whole researching stage as well, but I really like digging in to get that finished product. This could be said about my passion for the newspaper industry, as well. I always prefer editing over actually writing.

Why? Maybe because I'm a perfectionist. I like taking this rough document/article/whatever and shaping it to become something that can be used as a legal document/piece of literature/whatever. I like having that helping hand in making something complete.

The environment here is becoming more comfortable, too. Just today, I had my picture taken for the website. Unfortunately it monsooned here, so my hair is a hot mess, but regardless, having my photo on the website makes me feel more included in this small family. Whenever it is updated, it will appear here: http://wvubi.com/staff/.

Along those same lines, I've been talking with the other intern, a corporate services intern. I can honestly say I like every single person I work with. They all have these different characteristics, and everyone just seems to mesh well together so well. Dusty is the head honcho and very goal-driven. Jo is like a mother, but she is the accountant. Matt does all graphics/tech/photography necessary, and the other intern, Anne, works with marketing. I deal with writing and editing. We all have our little niches, and I like it this way. Beyond how talented they are, they are fantastic people. I feel at home, and I'm now just ending week three.

1 comment:

  1. My questions on your post last week seem to be relevant here again. What aspects of these Terms & Conditions and Split Letter documents seemed to be most important for you to incorporate into the ones that you have produced?

    Your last two paragraphs here are interesting for the way they seem to echo Kendra Potts' "My Entry-Level Life." Getting a sense of the different personalities, knowledge, and skills that individuals bring to an organization can help you to understand how and why work and documents flow through the organization in the way that they do -- and possibly how you could work through challenges that might arise in your projects through the rest of the internship.

    ReplyDelete