Thursday, September 30, 2010

Week Five - Researching and Releases

WVU Business Incubator Conference Room
As Week Five comes to an end, I really think I've learned a lot so far. I've learned the basic essentials for many typical documents in a variety of businesses.

These documents have made me take into account the audience that will read them (some for professionals, some for the average Internet browser) as well as the tone we are trying to portray (very professional, but like a helpful parent).

For this week, it was much more relaxed, and I appreciate that. Dusy knows I will be heading to Las Vegas this weekend, and he has given me more time to work on projects, and the deadlines have been more lax. This week, I worked on writing a press release for SustainU, a graduate tenant of the Business Incbuator.

The tenant spoke at the University of Arkansas Clinton School of Public Service. This is good exposure for the company, as it will be posted on the front page of the WVU Business Incubator website. The first thing I need to think about is the audience - the people who will be reading this are probably Morgantown residents or attend WVU. But, it needs to be universal, as this will probably be sent out to multiple news sources (probably the DA, too. Eek). Most of my work up until this point has been listening to the lecture, researching the company and contacting people. Now, I need to put this whole document together! I really like writing press releases because you can be creative with them, so this is definitely a nice break from straight document work.

Hopefully he likes what I can produce - this will definitely look great on the front page, and it'll keep me on my toes.

1 comment:

  1. Your reference to the DA as an audience for the press release has me thinking about this question: How does your newspaper experience shape your approach to writing a press release that has a newspaper and its readers as a likely target audience? That is, how does your understanding of the DA's readers--their knowledge, interests, expectations--shape your understanding of what a successful press release needs to do in order to find its way into the newspaper, and how does this understanding in turn shape the strategy your employ for writing this WVUBI press release?

    ReplyDelete