Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Week Nine - Contracts and Copy editing

WVU Research Corporation building.
The ninth week was definitely a change from the regular. On Tuesday, I was tasked with comparing two contracts to see if any significant changes took place. It was for the WV Small Business Development Center, and it was simply time for a new contract.
I had to go line by line to make sure it was the same, and if anything had changed, I had to make note of it. While this wasn't the most exciting challenge I've faced at the WVU Business Incubator, it was a simple task that I did not have to do any prior research for, which is nice

Thursday brought different challenges, as I was able to produce my first editing project! Dusty is nominating Chris Yura, founder and CEO of SustainU, for the Generation Morgantown 2010 Young Professionals award. Dusty asked Anne, a fellow (paid) intern to draft up a 200 word document stating Chris' nomination. I was then asked to edit it. Editing is one of my true passions, so to take this document and turn it into its full potential was really exciting for me.

It may have just been my favorite project all year. It's also for Chris Yura, so that may have a contributing factor.

I think Dusty was also happy with it, so I'm proud I did something I enjoy while also making my superiors happy.

This is my ninth week at the WVUBI, so my time is ending shortly. However, my time with this blog is ending now. I'm only required 10 posts, so this is my final. I'm glad I was able to reflect on what I've learned and do so on a deeper level. But until next time, blog, see ya.

1 comment:

  1. Great work with your blogging throughout this semester. I'd be interested in hearing more about your approach to this editing project. Unlike materials you edit for the DA, which have the purpose of informing an audience, here you're editing a document with a different purpose: to persuade an audience and to convince them that Chris Yura meets all the criteria that a winner of this award should possess. How did that understanding of the rhetorical situation--the purpose of the document, the audience for the document--shape your approach to editing it?

    ReplyDelete