Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week Seven - Parking and Press Releases

Back Commons Area
As my internship winds down, I've realized I've done far more writing than I have been editing. When we were in class learning about putting together our poster presentation, I immediately decided I wanted one section devoted to writing and another to editing. I was trying to think back to how much editing I've done, but the only editing I've really accomplished is my own. Once I write something, I then go back and edit it.

That brings me to this week. I put the finishing touches on the press release for SustainU, and had it uploaded to the web here. I sent a completed version to Dusty, but there were tow extra things he was intereted in me adding. One, he thought the fact that SustainU expanded from one license to 50 licenses in less than a year is very impressive. Apparently, it is, but licenses are something that jump out at me, coming from a journalism/English standpoint. From Dusty's view, however, he being the lawyer that he is, licesnes are very important and show how accomplished he is. The other thing was to add his specific modeling company, Ford Models, because that's big time.

Now, I am working on another press release for Videntity, a company that recently won a $10,000 award for a developer challenge. Dusty is really exciting about this because apparently the tenant has been in one particular stage for awhile, and this extra money will help move the tenant forward. I'm only in the beginning stages of working on this press release, as I have to actually find out more about the company. It's a very complex company, and the challenge they won is very specific to this certain type of technology. It's a little hard to handle for those who aren't fluent in this area, so I'm basically attempting to translate the language for a regular audience at this point.

In the realm of personal business, I have to leave early due to the Thursday night football game against USF. It's not my choice -- I don't get to go; I'll be at work anyway. But when I came in, Jo told me we are all leaving at 3:30 because WVU sells the parking spots at the WVU Business Incubator lot for $20. This surprised me - I didn't know WVU could profit through selling out their own spots for the game. I thought that would be more like an official pass, sort of thing. Instead, it's like those people you see let others park on their lawn for $20. On the plus side, I have an early day! 

1 comment:

  1. Another nice post here, Candace. I appreciate your reflect on the need to translate technical information for a lay audience. I'd be interested in hearing you say more about the specific word-level or sentence-level techniques you're using to accomplish that type of translation. For example, what decisions about word choice have you been making? Sentence structure, sentence length, and sentence complexity? Defining important terms? Examples or descriptive details? Other strategies?

    ReplyDelete